Welcome

Welcome to our blog! This blog started as an adoption journey and now will continue to chronicle the highlights and events of our family. Thank you for following this amazing journey to grow our family.

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Hundred Good Wishes Quilt


In parts of Northern China, when a baby is born, family and friends of the family send fabric scraps from old clothing and a written "wish" to the child’s mother. She then makes a quilt for the baby from the scraps. It is said that the luck and energy of the people who wore these clothes surrounds the child when she is wrapped in the quilt. The "wishes" (may be a wish, a poem, a prayer or other meaningful writing) is mounted in a scrapbook with a small piece of the corresponding fabric.
Thank you to all the people who participated. I happen to think it is beautiful because each square is so special. Even people who left this earth years ago are represented in this quilt -- my Mom, my Yiayia Rose and my Aunt Betty (who taught me to sew). If you click on the picture, you can see a larger view. I haven't put the scrapbook together yet but I think I have some time to get it done (baby won't know how to read for quite a while).
Why do I refer to her as "baby"? Many of our friends in our travel group already have named their child. We prefer to wait until 1.) we have a referral (i.e. it is real) and 2.) we see a picture. We did not decide on Alexia's name until we saw her sweet little face.

No comments:


The Bales Family