Welcome

Welcome to our blog! This blog started as an adoption journey and now will continue to chronicle the highlights and events of our family. Thank you for following this amazing journey to grow our family.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

An excursion

Today was a somewhat relaxed day. Tianna did not sleep well last night. It is taking some time to get to know her needs and schedule/patterns. She keeps waking up throughout the night and at naptime. Today we finally got some information about her schedule (took a little while to get translated) so I tried mixing cereal in her bottle tonight and I hope she'll do better. Tom has a sore throat. It's probably just from being overtired but please pray that it doesn't turn into a full-blown cold.

We has a free morning so Alexia got to play with one of the other kids in the group for a little while, then I took her to the pool for an hour while Daddy worked on getting Tianna to nap. Then, we took an excursion to a provincial museum and an embroidery factory. The museum showed all the findings dug up back in the early '70s of a woman (a marquis) whose body was amazingly preserved 2000 years ago. We actually saw her body, as well as all the items buried in the tomb with her. Here's a link with more info about this: http://www.china.org.cn/e-gudai/7.htm

The embroidery factory was interesting as well. These women embroider portraits that look like they were painted. Not much else to report. I suspect the next couple days in Changsha will be less eventful than the last few. So, I may not post (I'm telling you now so you won't worry, Dad). On Saturday, we fly to Guangzhou. Here is a picture of Tianna as we left for today's excursion.

6 comments:

Becky said...

What a beautiful photo!
Oh, and did they mention that according to legend, the 2000 year old woman died while waiting for her referral (hee-hee!). That was the joke going around when we saw her (the wait back then was only 14 months!).
Hope you did some shopping at the embroidery factory!
Enjoy the slower pace of the next couple of days - you'll be kept busier once you get to Guangzhou. Oh, and enjoy the warm temps, too!

Nancy said...

Every color seems to be beautiful on Tianna ... the photo in the red polarfleece jacket and teal hat is darling! Does she do well on the outings? (I can't imagine that they took them on any outings all these past months).
The sleep schedule will just need time to resolve itself. Think about how this little girl's world is topsy-turvey right now. She will eventually learn to trust you and her new environment enough to be able to sleep comfortably. Until then...you'll all need cat naps! Good luck and many hugs.

Anonymous said...

What a blessing! We're praying for a safe return. Congratulations! Welcome Tianna to the Bales family! Nie-how!

- Your favorite nephew and family!
Love, Kelly, Verenis, Jarrol, Jazmin, and Jacob

Anonymous said...

Wow you guys! I just saw the blog and Tianna is so adorable! I am so proud of Alexia for taking such good care of her little sister!
We can't wait to see you back in the USA!
Love,
Michael

Anonymous said...

What a cutie and a half!!! It looks like she's enjoying being a Bales! :)
- Beth L.

Anonymous said...

That picture is absolutely beautiful!!! Her whole face lights up when she smiles!!!

I look forward to seeing her when you get back!

Alison


The Bales Family